Applying for the grant, collecting and distributing the assets.
Obtaining a grant of representation and dealing with the administration of an estate can be complicated; it can take several months to make sure everything is done properly. At Layzells we offer a complete estate administration service to deal with everything for you.
Every estate is different which is why we encourage you to contact us so we can provide you with an estimate outlining a range of potential fees to make sure you get the right amount of support to meet your individual circumstances. We will update you regularly on your costs throughout the matter so you can stay in control throughout.
We will do the following:
- Advise you in connection with obtaining the appropriate grant of representation to the estate;
- Advise you in connection with the administration of the estate; including the legal, taxation and administrative matters.
We will not do the following:
- Provide any advice in relation to foreign assets, however we are able to co-ordinate advice with professional advisers in other jurisdictions in relation to assets held abroad but only to the extent specifically agreed in writing between us (which may incur an additional cost);
- Provide advice in relation to dealing with actual claims made against the estate, or contentious matters in dealing with the administration of the estate – these would be a separate matter, however we are able to co-ordinate with other professional advisers on how this impacts the administration of the estate but only to the extent specifically agreed in writing between us (which may incur an additional cost).
Our costs are calculated using the fee earner’s hourly rate Plus VAT as per the below:
Michael Ross £275 plus VAT
William Chalk £275 plus VAT
Ian Cohen £325 plus VAT
William ward £350 plus VAT
In addition to the legal fees there will also be added disbursements* as follows:
Item Amount VAT
- Probate fee** £155 none
- Swearing of the Oath (per executor) £7.00 none
- Bankruptcy – only Land Charges
Department Searches (per beneficiary) £3.00 £0.60
- Office copies for the grant of probate
(per copy) £0.50 none
- Post in the local newspaper (helps to protect
against unexpected claims) £185.00 none
- Post in the London Gazette (Protects against
unexpected claims from unknown creditors £62.15 none
*Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties.
**Please note that the government has issued proposals to increase fees in the future. We will attempt to make the applications for the grant before the fee changes but due to the nature of the process and reliance on third parties this may not be possible.
Factors that are likely to increase the cost of your matter:
- Not having all of the paperwork available, or having missing or incorrect information that needs investigation and correction;
- Third parties not responding to our communications promptly
- Dealing with unusual or complex assets or items (for example: fine art; timeshares; shares in private companies etc)
As soon as any complications arise, we will discuss these with you and agree the fee for the additional work being carried out in advance of any additional work being undertaken.
Please contact us so that we can provide you with an individual quote based on your specific circumstances.